Sunday, 30 October 2016

134 Versions of Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody - never fails to please


Play All

Last year I went a bit mad reviewing all the versions of Slade's 'Merry Christmas Everybody'  that I could find on YouTube, then organised them into a playlist. If played on Christmas Day, the listener/viewer can have a feast of 134 versions of the same song!

A year on, and it's pleasing to note that the playlist itself has now had 24,266 views. There's a couple of surprises, too. One of these was "Merry Xmas Everybody - Settle Style".




The homemade video is described as "A Christmas song from the Lord, Hayes and Bryant families". The added fun includes the granny that is up and rock and rolling with the rest.

Two years after it was published on 27 Dec 2013, when I found it on YouTube, it had had just 241 views.

I thought it was brilliant, and put it at number 2 on my playlist to hopefully get it more views. And I set about plugging it on various Slade forums. So I'm please to report that, as I write 11 months later, it has now had 8,710 views.

The other interesting and fun version is 'Merry Xmas Everybody (Slade in the style of The Wurzels)'. Published on 21 Dec 2014, it had had just 54 views when I first saw it, but since I put it on the playlist, the views have risen modestly to 1,136.





It's Christmas !

Are you hanging up your pitchfork on the wall?
It's the time when I can harvest bugger all,
Are you slaughtering your turkey?
Are you ready to play host?
Are you digging up potatoes for the roast?

So, here it is Merry Christmas everybody's getting drunk,
Look at my cider stash, the scrumpy's almost gone -

Are you waiting for the family to arrive?
Or will you greet them with a shotgun on the drive?
Does your granny always tell you,
Traditional farming techniques are best,
Then she's on the combine harvester when its time to thresh -

So here it is Merry Christmas everybody's on the mulled wine
Look at my fuchsias, they won't flower till July -

What will your Daddy do when he sees your Mummy kissing Santa Claus,
oo-arr-arrrr!
Are you putting all your tractors in the shed?
Are you making sure the cattle have all been fed?
Are you grinding up the wheat grain to make the flour for the food?
If you fall in that machinery you're screwed -

So here it is Merry Christmas everybody's getting drunk
Look at my cider stash, the scrumpy's almost gone

So here it is Merry Christmas everybody's on the mulled wine
Look at my fuchsias they won't flower till July


Comments
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment