Tuesday, 25 October 2016

Four Things For Thursday

Houghton Hall By-Election Houghton Regis Town Council Thursday 27th October


I am one of the three candidates. I am Independent.
Can anyone truly be independent?
Independent of party - yes.
Independent of political persuasion - probably not.

At local council level I think the most important thing is that the person elected should have a strong sense of their locality and their locality's needs, rather than an adherence to a political party machinery and policies decided at some remote party conference.

I had lived in Houghton Regis for just a few months when I was elected to the Town Council in 2007, but it was through the popularity of a local political party rather than any personal following, or personal knowledge of the town. I thought it was totally wrong.

 After 10 years of living here, knowing much more about its problems and aspirations, strongly advanced by my decision to start, and run, the Houghton Regis News Desk, I think am much more properly qualified to speak at meetings for any people I represent.

I spend a few hours every day looking into topical issues that affect the Town. Please take a few minutes on Thursday to support me with your vote.

My thoughts on some top issues (apart from the immediate traffic related issues!)

1. The present Houghton Regis cemetery is almost full. We need a new one. A site ideally needs to be settled on, and developed. Happy to entertain the option that the parish should NOT provide a new cemetery, and put the onus on Central Bedfordshire to come up with a location. Let's have that conversation. What do you think?

2. Windsor Drive Recreation Ground is in Central Bedfordshire Council ownership and has been identified as a potential site for building homes on. It was a site being considered by the Town Council for allotments and a cemetery. As a cemetery the land is quite close to the water table, so probably not practical. Happy to entertain the option for new housing, and a few neighbourhood shops to serve the area. What do you think?

3. Development Schemes - more are coming forward for Bidwell and Thorn areas, and town councillors will be able to comment on these. I set up a HRN2 Facebook information page for that.  I set up the Houghton Regis Central Page to pass on information about the development of the former Co-op site. There will be more sites coming forward for developments. There is a lot going on, so I set up this page to keep a check on the developments schemes. I want the best outcomes for Houghton Regis.

4. Houghton Regis Town Council levies the highest council tax for a Band D property than any other town in the Central Bedfordshire area. I should like to keep it down. Where there is a will, there is a way.

LINKS TO MY PAGES
Houghton Regis News Desk - https://www.facebook.com/houghtonregisnewsdesk/

HRN2 Bidwell West Info - https://www.facebook.com/groups/hrn2info/

Houghton Regis Central - https://www.facebook.com/groups/houghtonregiscentral/

My Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/AlanDWinter


As always, click to enlarge any images below.


https://twitter.com/alandwinter

Comments
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment